Fri, Apr 08|
N Susquehanna River to Bucknell Landing
When & Where
Apr 08, 2022, 2:00 PM – Apr 10, 2022, 6:00 PM
N Susquehanna River to Bucknell Landing, Lewisburg, PA 17837, USA
About the Experience
This training focuses on how to properly plan, prepare for and facilitate a sucessful overnight paddling field based experience. This training will use canoes as our boat of choice.
Topics discussed and practiced include:
- Backcountry experience planning & preparation.
- Equipment selection & use.
- Initatives & group activities.
- Backcountry navigation.
- Pacing, group facilitation and dynamics.
- Establishing a backcountry camp & kitchen.
- Backcountry cooking skills.
- Fostering a welcoming, inclusive community.
Pre Trip: OEL Basecamp on Campus.
Field Session: North Susquehanna River to the Bucknell Landing.
Pre Trip: Wednesday, 4/6/2022 @ 8:00 PM
Field Session: 4/8/2022 - 4/10/2022
Day 1 - 4/8/2022
- 2:00 PM - Meet at OEL Basecamp on campus.
- 2:30 PM - Depart campus for field location.
Day 2 - 4/9/2022
- In field all day.
Day 3 - 4/10/2022
- 5:00 PM - Arrive back at OEL Basecamp on campus. Clean and return equipment/supplies.
- 6:00 PM - Conclude training.
- OEL Rental Center equipment/clothing.
- Transportation during field session.
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks for field session.
This training is complimentary (FREE / NO COST) for Bucknell OEL Student Leaders.
This training is open enrollment to all current Bucknell OEL Student Leaders although capacity is limited and registrations are accepted on a first come first serve basis. A Bucknell ID is required at the time of registration.
Cancellations & No Shows
Complimentary (FREE) OEL Trainings provided to Bucknell OEL Student Leaders have limited capacity. If a Student Leader signs up and doesn’t show for the program, it’s disruptive for everyone involved and takes away from the experience for other students. Further, this can negatively impact a Student Leader's ability to continue in this roll on future trips and outings.
We understand that things come up and life happens. We get it. We simply ask that you notify us at least 14 days in advance of a Training and let us know of your cancellation and why. You can do this by going back to our Portal and clicking on the “CONTACT” link in the upper right of the screen.
Failure to contact us of your cancellation is noted by the OEL Admin Team. This may lead to your dismissal as a student leader from the OEL program.