Sat, Mar 11|
Hiking, National Parks, Culture & Exploration - Iceland Spring Break
Come explore Iceland with us! Transportation, gear, meals & lodging included!
When & Where
Mar 11, 6:00 PM – Mar 19, 10:00 PM
About the Experience
Join us for a week long spring break adventure in Iceland! This experience will start with a flight to Reykjavik, Iceland's capital, which is where we'll officially kick off our adventure and finish outfitting our trip. From Reykjavik we'll head towards Vatnajokull National Park along Route 1, the Ring Road of the country that runs around the entire island and connects most of the inhabited parts. We'll explore as we make our way to our lodging site near the southern tip of the park. This will serve as our Basecamp for the first three nights in Iceland.
On our second day we'll join forces with a local guide for a glaciated tour within Vatnajokull National Park and explore the surrounding terrain including the Sapphire Ice Cave, a stunning wonder and truly unique experience. After a full day in the park, we'll return to our lodging site, have dinner and relax.
On day three, we'll head back towards the Vatnajokull National Park and hike the Sjonarnipa, Svartifoss, Sjonar-sker Loop. This is a 9.5km moderately trafficked loop near the toe of a major glacier and home to many beautiful waterfalls. We'll eat lunch along the way and spend the remaining parts of the day exploring other areas of the park. After another full day, we'll return back to our lodging site for dinner, to relax and get a good night's rest.
On day four, we'll pack up and head back towards Reykjavik via Route 1. Along the way we'll take a ferry to Vestmannaeyjar, an island to the south of mainland Iceland. This island was formed by underwater volcanic eruptions. We'll explore the local town and attempt a hike to the summit of one of its two primary volcanic peaks. This same day we'll return to the mainland by ferry and continue onward to our lodging site in Reykjavik.
Our final few days of the trip will involve exploration and adventure in and around Reykjavik. Plans include driving the Golden Circle, a 300km loop with three primary stops including Thingvellir National Park, Gullfoss waterfall and the geothermal area in Haukadalur which contains the geysers Geysir and Strokkur. As they allow, we'll make attempts to get outside of the city and take in the Northern Lights. Other activities are possible and will be determined by the group such as spending some time in the Blue Lagoon and/or snorkeling in the Silfra Fissure, a rift in the Earth between two tectonic plates (swimming in the gap between Europe & North America). Each day we'll return to our same lodging site in the city.
March is considered a gorgeous month to visit Iceland. Not only has the weather usually calmed down a bit, but the Northern Lights are still very much in force and viewable. The amoung of daylight is growing rapidly, so much so that there is a noticeable difference each day. Spring is starting to appear and locals are spending more time outside. Temperatures can range during this time of year between 28F and 38F. Rain tends to be common, although not consistent. This trip will include 6 nights of lodging in hotels and/or an Airbnb style house, lots of hiking and exploration, guided activities, and an approximate 750 mile road trip throughout Southern Iceland. Participants should prepare to come ready for adventure and the nourishment that tends to come from spending time in this beautiful international destination.
1st Pre-Trip Meeting, Tue 1/24/2023 (In person on campus)
2nd Pre-Trip Meeting, Thu 2/23/2023 (In person on campus)
Day 0, Sat 3/11/2023
- Final pre-trip meeting and dinner at Bucknell University.
Day 1, Sun 3/12/2023
- Breakfast at Bucknell. Pack a lunch. Mid day drive from Bucknell University to departure airport. Dinner at airport.
- Fly to Reykjavik International Airport (RVK) overnight.
Day 2, Mon 3/13/2023
- Arrive in Reykjavik, Iceland early in the morning. Pick up vehicles. Gather supplies and grocery shop in the city.
- Drive towards Vatnajokull Nat'l Park along Route 1.
- Explore/rest stop(s) along the way with lunch.
- Arrive at lodging site. Dinner, relax, overnight.
Day 3, Tue 3/14/2023
- Wake up, breakfast, pack lunch, prep for day in Vatnajokull Nat'l Park.
- Drive to guided tour meeting point near/in the park.
- Guided glacial/ice cave tour.
- Return to lodging site. Dinner, relax, overnight.
Day 4, Wed 3/15/2023
- Wake up, breakfast, pack lunch and prep for day in/around Vatnajokull Nat'l Park.
- Drive the short distance to the trailhead for the Sjonarnipa, Svartifoss, Sjonar-sker Loop hiking trail.
- Full day of hiking and exploration.
- Return to lodging site. Dinner, relax, overnight.
Day 5, Thu 3/16/2023
- Wake up, breakfast, pack lunch and check out of lodging site.
- Drive back towards Reykjavik.
- Stop at the ferry site for a bump over to Vestmannaeyjar Island. Lunch.
- Explore Vestmannaeyjar including a summit hike attempt of one of its volcanoes.
- Take the ferry back to the mainland.
- Drive to our lodging site in Reykjavik.
- Dinner at lodging site. Relax and overnight.
Day 6, Fri 3/17/2023
- Wake up, breakfast, pack lunch, prep for a day exploring the Golden Circle Loop.
- Different stops along the way to explore and enjoy the amazing terrain.
- Possible activity of snorkeling the Silfra Fissure.
- Return to our lodging site. Dinner, relax, overnight.
Day 7, Sat 3/18/2023
- Wake up and have breakfast.
- Full or half day of exploration in Reykjavik. Lunch location will be determined based on the location of the group.
- Possible activity of visiting the Blue Lagoon for a soak in it's geothermal waters.
- Dinner in Reykjavik. Return to lodging site, relax, overnight.
Day 8, Sun 3/19/2023
- Wake up, breakfast, check out of lodging site.
- Extra time to explore Reykjavik. Lunch in town.
- At the airport by early afternoon for an early evening flight back to departure airport.
- Arrive JFK Int'l. Drive back to Bucknell. Dinner stop along the way.
- Back at Bucknell. Return gear.
- End of trip!
- Transportation to/from Bucknell University and departure airport
- Roundtrip airfare from departure airport and RVK with X1 50lb checked bag
- All vehicle transportation while in Iceland
- 6 nights of lodging
- 3 main meals and snacks per day during main trip, excluding airport travel
- Pre-trip (Saturday, 3/11/2023) dinner, day of departure (Sunday, 3/12/2023) breakfast & lunch and end of trip (Sunday, 3/19/2023) dinner at Bucknell
- Additional clothing available (puffy warm jacket, base layer clothing, shell pants and jacket, etc.)
- Country visa fees, park fees, tour operator fees and permit expenses
- Medical and/or evacuation insurance
- Excess baggage charges and airport taxes
- Personal gear and items
- Alcoholic beverages
- Meals during travel between Bucknell University and Iceland
- Any food purchased separately from group meals (e.g. gas station snacks, additional meals beyond pre-planned group meals, ice cream, etc.)
- Any souvenirs, shopping, or optional, non-predetermined experiences
- Trip cancellation insurance
- All expenses incurred in the event of an unexpected early or late departure not covered by the medical and/or evacuation insurance provided (student behavioral concern, student elects to come home early, etc.)
- Full Cost = $2,950.00 per person
- Deposit (Non-Transferable Airfare Expense) = $660.00*
*Deposits are non-refundable & non-transferable
Registration for this trip will open on Tuesday, 1/03/2023 at 12:00pm Eastern. Spaces for this trip are limited and will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.
- Registration for this trip is available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Upon successful registration for the trip, a confirmation email with a link to the trip agreement form will be sent. Completion of this trip agreement form must be made within 24 hours of registration. Failure to complete this step will result in removal from the trip registration and the spot will become available to the next person.
- A full deposit or full payment is required by 4:00pm 1/17/2023 to confirm placement on this trip.
- Opportunities for a limited amount of financial assistance may be available. Students can indicate this request during their registration process.
- An option to join a waitlist is provided at the time of registration if the trip is full.
- Registration for this spring break trip will go live at 12:00pm on Tuesday, January 3, 2023. A deposit payment is due by Tuesday, January 17, 2023 to confirm placement on the trip. The remaining balance payment is due by Friday, February 17, 2023 at 4:00pm.
- If a student does not pay their deposit payment by the above listed due date, OEL reserves the right to remove that student from the trip and contact the next person on the waitlist to fill the trip seat. If you need an extension for the due date of your deposit payment, let us know immediately so that we may work with you to accommodate your need.
- Any agreed upon payment due date extension may make a student liable for any non-recoverable costs spent by the university on their behalf (e.g. airfare, ski lift tickets, etc.). This will be discussed and agreed upon in writing as applicable.
- In the event of a cancellation on the student's behalf, a refund for all fees paid, minus the deposit payment and any non-refundable costs paid on behalf of the student (e.g. airfare, ski lift tickets, etc.) is possible before the remaining balance due date of 2/17/2023. In the event that a student cancels their spot after paying their deposit payment but before paying their remaining balance payment, the student agrees to pay any difference in cost of non-refundable trip expenses.
- All payments must be made by check (written to Bucknell University) or cash.
- If a payment is submitted via mail, a written agreement must be confirmed by the student accepting liability of fees associated. Students/families submitting payment via mail should contact OEL admin to notify us of this intention.
- The Bucknell Outdoor Education & Leadership Program (OEL) may adjust aspects of the pre-proposed itinerary associated with this trip.
- If selected to participate in this OEL Spring Break Trip, you will be required to attend a series of pre-trip meetings. Failure to participate in these meetings may affect your eligibility to attend the trip.
Cancellations & No Shows
OEL Trips & Outings provided to Bucknell students have limited capacity. Students should only sign up for this trip if they have full intention of attending. If a student signs up for a trip and cancels later, it’s disruptive for everyone involved and takes away from other student’s experience.
We understand that things come up and unexpected life events happen. Should you need to cancel, we ask that you notify us as soon as possible to let us know. You can do this by communicating directly with the professional staff members who will be attending the trip (Nate Smith & Morgan Costello).
Students who notify us of their need to cancel before or on the due date/time of the remaining balance payment (2/17/2023) will receive a refund for all fees paid, minus the deposit payment and any non-refundable costs paid on behalf of the student (e.g. airfare, ski lift tickets, etc.). In the event that a student cancels their spot after paying their deposit payment but before paying their remaining balance payment, the student agrees to pay any difference in cost of non-refundable trip expenses. Refunds will not be issued for those who choose to cancel beyond 2/17/2023 4:00pm unless a replacement can be found for the trip.