Mon, Jun 06|
Kilimanjaro & Surrounding National Parks
Tanzania Kilimanjaro Climb & Safari Summer Break 2022
Join us for an unforgettable summer break experience on the majestic high peak and wild plains of Tanzania!
When & Where
Jun 06, 2022, 5:00 PM EDT – Jun 19, 2022, 5:00 PM EDT
Kilimanjaro & Surrounding National Parks, Mt Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
About the Experience
Join us on a climb of Kilimanjaro, the highest point in Africa at 19,341 ft, and one of the Seven Summits of the world. Our journey will follow the path less traveled, ascending Kilimanjaro via the Rongai Route and descending the southern side, to complete a total traverse of the mountain. The Rongai Route is a wilder and quieter way to trek through Kilimanjaro’s distinctive ecological zones, passing through forest, moorland, alpine desert and beautiful arctic landscapes.
Our team of Bucknell students, OEL professional staff, and local Tanzanian guides and porters will complete the entire trek together– this is a rewarding and challenging adventure, and a unique opportunity to experience this unforgettable part of Africa.
After we return from our Kilimanjaro journey, we will transition to Tarangire National Park, where we will spend 2 days on a safari tour of the area and enjoy some well-earned rest in the evenings at one of the lodges in the park.
Info Meeting, Tue 03/08/2022, 8:00-9:00 PM (In person on campus - ELC 276 Terrace Room)
- Review of trip overview, schedule, inclusions, exclusions, registration process, cost, etc.
- RSVP HERE
Pre-Trip 1, Mon 04/04/2022, 7:00-8:00 PM (Virtual over Zoom)
- Initial meet & greet to cover schedule, equipment, and other logistics
Pre-Trip 2, Mon 04/18/2022, 7:00-9:00 PM (In person on campus)
- In depth pre-trip meeting to cover schedule, equipment, and other logistics
Pre-Trip 3, Mon 05/02/2022, 7:00-9:00 PM (In person on campus)
- Second round of an in depth pre-trip meeting to cover schedule, equipment, and other logistics
Day 1, Mon 06/06/2022
- All trip participants and OEL staff meet at hotel near departure airport (Washington-Dulles). All ground or air transportation from point of origin to departure airport and hotel will be the responsibility of participants
- Final gear checks, dinner, overnight at hotel near departure airport
Day 2, Tue 06/07/2022
- Early morning transfer to Washington-Dulles Int’l Airport (IAD)
- Fly from IAD to Kilimanjaro Int’l Airport (JRO)
Day 3, Wed 06/08/2022
- Afternoon arrival to JRO. Go through customs, collect luggage, meet local guide service for airport pick up
- Transfer to hotel in Moshi, dinner, rest at hotel
Day 4, Thur 06/09/2022
- Rest and recovery from travels to Tanzania
- Optional walk around the small town of Moshi (popular gateway town for Kilimanjaro treks) for shopping and sightseeing
- Meet Tanzanian guides, work with guides and OEL staff to pack and organize gear for the next day’s departure to the mountain
- Overnight at same hotel in Moshi
Day 5, Fri 06/10/2022
- Start our Kilimanjaro trek. After driving from Moshi (3,120 ft) to the Marangu Gate to secure permits, our team will transfer to the Rongai Gate trailhead (6,398 ft). The trail winds through corn and potato fields before climbing through the forest which is home to a variety of wildlife, including the black and white colobus monkey. After 3-4 hours of hiking, our team will camp at Rongai Cave at an altitude of 9,300 ft.
Day 6, Sat 06/11/2022
- We will begin this morning with a steady incline up to the Second Cave. We will then continue to trek through moorland, leaving the main trail for a smaller path towards the jagged peaks of Mawenzi, before finally arriving at Kikelewa Cave at an altitude of 11,811 ft. The team will spend the night here after about 8 hours of hiking.
Day 7, Sun 06/12/2022
- The trek on day 3 of this trip is short and steep, up a grassy slope. Views of the surrounding wilderness area are stunning. As we exit the heath zone and emerge into the alpine desert zone, the landscape changes dramatically. Our camp is situated beneath the jagged spires of Mawenzi, at Mawenzi Tarn. The afternoon and evening are spent relaxing and exploring the area, as well as acclimatizing to our new altitude of 14,160 ft.
Day 8, Mon 06/13/2022
- On this day, our team will traverse the lunar desert of the saddle between Mawenzi and Kibo. Our camp, Kibo Hut, sits at the bottom of the Kibo crater wall at an altitude of 15,430 ft. After 5 to 6 hours of trekking, we will rest and enjoy an early dinner to prepare for the next day’s summit attempt.
Day 9, Tues 06/14/2022
- Alpine start (around midnight) to begin our final push for the summit. This is the most mentally and physically challenging portion of the trek. The wind and cold at this altitude and time of day can be intense. We will ascend in the darkness for several hours while taking short but frequent breaks. At Gilman’s point (18,600 ft), we will be rewarded with one of the most stunning sunrises in the world, looking out towards neighboring Mawenzi Peak. Finally, we will arrive at Uhuru Peak– the highest point on Mount Kilimanjaro and the continent of Africa at an altitude of 19,341 ft.
- After spending a few moments taking in the plains of Africa and celebrating the team’s accomplishment, we will descend back the way we came. After a brief stop back at Kibo Hut (15,430 ft) to pack up our camp, we will continue to descend all the way to Horombo Hut (12,250 ft). Later in the evening, we will enjoy our last dinner on the mountain and some well-earned sleep at this lower altitude.
Day 10, Wed 06/15/2022
- On our last day on Kilimanjaro, we will make a mostly downhill trek through the tropical rainforest. Once at the park headquarters at Marangu gate, we will collect our summit certificates, and meet our drivers before making the 4 hour drive to Tarangire National Park. Once here, we will check in at the lodge and enjoy dinner and showers before bed.
Day 11, Thur 06/16/2022
- After breakfast, we will meet with our safari guides for our first of several safari adventures through Tarangire, which is particularly known for its incredible baobab trees, elephants, and scenic river. We’ll have the opportunity to view a variety of animals, including lions, wildebeest, zebras, elephants, and more, before making our way back to our lodge overlooking the savannah.
Day 12, Fri 06/17/2022
- Full day of exploring Tarangire by vehicle before returning to our lodge for dinner and rest.
Day 13, Sat 06/18/2022
- On our last day in Tanzania, we will check out of the lodge and finish with one final early morning game drive through Tarangire, before making our way back to the airport for an afternoon/early evening departure.
- Fly from JRO to Washington-Dulles Int’l Airport (IAD)
Day 14, Sun 06/19/2022
- Arrive to IAD. All ground or air transportation from IAD to final destination will be the responsibility of participants
This trip involves unique physical exertion. The trek and climb of Kilimanjaro is not very steep and our walking pace each day is intentionally slowed down and consistent. What Kilimanjaro lacks in steepness, it makes up for with altitude. The summit of Kilimanjaro is 19,341 feet. For comparison, the altitude on Bucknell's campus is around 500 feet. Each day on the mountain will involve altitude gain up until the summit at which point we will descend fairly quickly. Altitude illness is possible for any student participating on this trip regardless of physical fitness. That said, it is encouraged that students arrive to the start of this trip having spent some part of the 1-2 months prior being physically active with attempts to improve their cardiovascular fitness. The OEL professional staff will work together with participating students to prevent altitude sickness and physical exhaustion to the best of their ability. This requires each student to take control of their own well-being and communicate honestly to the staff when daily health checks are performed throughout the trip. Students with pre-existing health conditions which could put them at higher risk of altitude illness may not be able to attend this trip. We encourage any student with a pre-existing condition to check in with their primary care physician prior to registering for this trip.
- Roundtrip airfare from departure airport and JRO with X1 50lb checked bag
- All vehicle transportation while in Tanzania
- 11 nights of lodging (1 night hotels near IAD / 5 nights of lodges in Tanzania / 5 nights of camping on Kilimanjaro)
- 3 main meals and snacks per day during main trip, excluding airport travel
- Pre-trip dinner on Bucknell campus - Mon 04/18/2022. 7:00-9:00 PM
- Dinner on first night of trip at hotel near IAD.
- All group camping gear (e.g. tents, sleeping bags, food storage & cookware, etc.)
- Additional clothing available (puffy warm jacket, base layer clothing, shell pants and jacket, etc.)
- Country visa fees, park fees, tour operator fees and permit expenses
- Medical and/or evacuation insurance
- Excess baggage charges and airport taxes
- Costs associated with acquiring and maintaining a valid Passport
- Cost associated with acquiring and maintaining recommended vaccines
- Personal gear and items
- Alcoholic beverages
- Meals during travel between United States and Tanzania
- Any food purchased separately from group meals (e.g. gas station snacks, additional meals beyond pre-planned group meals, ice cream, etc.)
- Any souvenirs, shopping, or optional, non-predetermined experiences
- Trip cancellation insurance
- All expenses incurred in the event of early or late departure not related to an emergency (transportation, extra hotel night, etc.)
- Full Cost = $3,750.00 per person
- Deposit (10% of Full Cost) = $375.00*
*Deposits are non-refundable & non-transferable
Registration for this trip will open on 03/11/2022 at 12:00 PM Eastern. Spaces for this trip are limited and will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.
- Registration for this trip is available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Due to the timing of this trip, graduating students (seniors) in May 2022 are UNABLE to attend.
- A full deposit or full payment is required by 4:00 PM 03/21/2022 to confirm placement on this trip.
- Opportunities for a limited amount of financial assistance may be available. Students can indicate this request during their registration process.
- An option to join a waitlist is provided at the time of registration if the trip is full.
- Registration for this summer break trip will go live at 12:00 PM on Friday, 03/11/2022. A deposit payment is due by 03/21/2022 or within 7 days from the time of registration to confirm placement on the trip. The remaining balance payment is due by 4:00 PM Monday, 04/24/2022. Payments can ONLY be made using check or cash at OEL's Basecamp location in Tustin Mon-Fri 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM. All checks are written to Bucknell University.
- The Bucknell Outdoor Education & Leadership Program (OEL) may adjust aspects of the pre-proposed itinerary associated with this trip.
- If participating in this OEL Summer Break Trip, you will be required to attend a series of pre-trip meetings. Failure to participate in these meetings may affect your eligibility to attend the trip. The pre-trip meeting date will be shared with selected participants upon acceptance into the trip.
- Selected participants must present proof of a valid passport or arrange a viable plan for acquiring one at least 30 days prior to the start of this trip in order to remain registered.
Cancellations & No Shows
OEL Trips & Outings provided to Bucknell students have limited capacity. If a student signs up and doesn’t show for the program, it’s disruptive for everyone involved and takes away from other student’s experience.
We understand that things come up and life happens. We get it. We simply ask that you notify us as soon as possible and let us know of your cancellation. You can do this by communicating directly with the professional staff who are attending the trip (Nathan Smith & Sarah Morris).
Students who notify us of their need to cancel before or on the due date/time of the remaining balance (04/24/2022 4:00 PM) will receive a refund of fees paid minus their deposit. If no additional payment has been made beyond the deposit, no refund is provided as the deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable. Refunds will not be issued for those who choose to cancel beyond 04/24/2022 4:00 PM.