Sat, Feb 13|
Ricketts Glen State Park
Winter Hiking at Ricketts Glen
Come hike with us! Transportation & gear provided!
When & Where
Feb 13, 2021, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Ricketts Glen State Park, 695 State Route 487, Benton, PA 17814, USA
About the Experience
Join us for a breathtakingly beautiful trek past frozen waterfalls and stunning water features. We'll hike approximately 4 miles on one of Pennsylvania's most famous trails at Ricketts Glen State Park. The icy winter conditions give a completely different look to the waterfalls than what you would see in the summer. The Falls Trail in the winter can be covered in ice in sections, which require the use of strap crampons, an ice axe, and fixed rope for additional security (all of which are provided by OEL for this experience). This is a great opportunity for photographers, hiking enthusiasts, and those looking for a good winter adventure!
*GoogleMaps link provided
- 9:00 AM - Meet at our Basecamp on Bucknell's campus.
- 9:30 AM - Depart for Ricketts Glen. Enjoy day of hiking.
- 4:00 PM - Arrive back to Basecamp.
- Some clothing as needed (rain jacket/pants, insulated jacket, baselayers)
- Hiking gear (small backpack, trekking poles)
- Full strap crampons & ice axe
- Transportation to/from
What To Bring
- Clothing that's comfortable to hike and move in (e.g. athletic type clothing and/or synthetic pieces, etc.)
- Rain jacket (just in case)
- Insulated warm clothing layers
- Waterproof hiking boots
- Small backpack
- 1-2 liters of water
- A hat
- Personal lunch and snack food for the day
This trip is complimentary (FREE / NO COST) to Bucknell students.
This trip is open enrollment to all current Bucknell students. A Bucknell ID number is required to register.
Cancellations & No Shows
Complimentary (FREE) OEL Trips & Outings provided to Bucknell students have limited capacity. If a student signs up and doesn’t show for the program, it’s disruptive for everyone involved and takes away from other student’s experience.
We understand that things come up and life happens. We get it. We simply ask that you notify us at least 48 hours in advance of a Trip or Outing and let us know of your cancellation. You can do this by going back to our Portal and clicking on the “CONTACT” orange button in the upper right of the screen.
Failure to contact us of your cancellation is noted by the OEL Admin Team. After 3 instances (not showing up 3 times without notice), a student will not be allowed to register for future OEL Trips & Outings here at Bucknell.