Sun, Jul 07|
Laugavegur Trail, Iceland
BID - Summer Break - Laugavegur Trail Iceland
Co-lead a group of up to 10 students on a week long trip to Iceland with a point to point multi-day backpacking experience along the world renowned Laugavegur Trail!
When & Where
Jul 07, 2024, 8:00 AM EDT – Jul 23, 2024, 8:00 PM EDT
Laugavegur Trail, Iceland, Iceland
About the Experience
Join a cohort of up to 9 other student leaders in a year long progression of development, preparation and growth which concludes with a trip to Iceland to co-lead students on a week long point to point multi-day backpacking experience along the world renowned Laugavegur Trail.
X5 independent departures will exist for this trip, each consisting of 2 student leaders and up to 10 student participants. This allows up to 10 student leaders to join this 2023-2024 student leader cohort.
Together the student leader cohort will meet monthly during the regular academic year for a half day+ learning experience facilitated by OEL professional staff. Each session will focus on different skills, considerations and/or logistics that together will prepare student leaders for this international trip leading opportunity. In the spring 2024 semester, the cohort will work with their trip's student participants to help them prepare for their selected July 2024 departure.
Additionally, the cohort will spend a minimum of 1 weekend together during the spring 2024 semester to work through a field based simulative backpacking experience. Cohort learning sessions and the weekend field based experience will be scheduled amongst the cohort once student leaders are selected.
This student leadership opportunity requires an annual commitment including a return to campus in July 2024 (an approximate 10 day period) for their assigned trip to Iceland.
Interested student leaders should review all trip information provided on the participant facing webpage here: SUMMER BREAK - LAUGAVEGUR TREK ICELAND.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS*
- Be a current OEL student "Adventure Trip" leader
- Have successfully met all associated student leader expectations in the prior academic year
- Remain current and compliant with all associated student leader expectations during the 2023-2024 academic year and into the summer 2024 semester
- Have completed OEL's annual May Trip student leader training on the Black Forest Trail and/or co-led one of the Buckwild backpacking trip experiences during Buckwild
- Be an incoming Sophomore (Class of 2026) or incoming Junior (Class of 2025)
- Have a valid US Passport with an expiration date beyond 6 months from the scheduled return to the United States of your assigned trip to Iceland
- Studying on campus during the spring 2024 semester (Study abroad or beyond campus is an allowable consideration during the fall 2023 semester. All student leaders within the cohort must be present on campus during the spring 2024 semester)
- Lead a minimum of X1 OEL backpacking trip as an student "Adventure Trip" leader during the 2023-2024 academic year
*All listed Qualifications / Requirements may be eligible for adjustment on a case by case basis at the discretion of the OEL professional staff.
STUDENT LEADER SELECTION CONSIDERATIONS
- Level of involvement as an OEL student "Adventure Trip" leader
- Level of involvement as an OEL student staff in any area of the program
- Record of mentorship and "giving back" to other OEL student leaders and/or staff
- Graduating class year (e.g. Incoming Juniors (Class of 2025) may be given priority over incoming Sophomores (Class of 2026) given that this is their final opportunity to participate in this experience.)
- Monthly half day+ instruction from OEL professional staff during the 2023-2024 academic year
- X1 weekend field based learning experience with one or multiple OEL professional staff during the spring 2024 semester
- All inclusions explained in the participant facing webpage here: SUMMER BREAK - LAUGAVEGUR TREK ICELAND
- All exclusions explained in the participant facing webpage here: SUMMER BREAK - LAUGAVEGUR TREK ICELAND
Participation in this student leader cohort including the trip to Iceland will cost selected student leaders $0.00*
*Selected student leaders are responsible for non-refundable costs associated with their participation in this program should they self select out at any time of this annual commitment and/or if they are charged with a student conduct violation as determined by the Dean of Students office during the 2023-2024 academic year and summer 2024 semester and/or if they are found in violation of any other university student behavior processes during the 2023-2024 academic year and summer 2024 semester.
Interested student leaders should complete the registration form associated with this bid option on the OEL portal. A confirmation e-mail will include a link to a mandatory second bid step - completion of a Google Form application. When completing the Google Form application, an interested student leader is able to select which of the X5 trip departures works best for them. One or multiple trip departures can be indicated at this time.
All bid steps (registration form, Google Form) must be completed by 5:00pm ET 05/24/2023.
Completed bids will be reviewed by the OEL professional staff and Adventure Trip student managers. Student leaders will be contacted if additional questions are determined. Final determinations will be shared on or before 5:00pm ET 06/15/2023. Selected student leaders must accept their bid within 72 hours of notification.